Friday, September 19, 2008

Confessional #3

Well, here we are in the wake of our good friend Ike. I have to say, this guy did not fail to impress. Half of the Nacogdoches Metroplex is still either without power or just now getting it back on. There were power lines down everywhere, trees on top of houses, flying debris, trees on top off other trees, fallen trees blocking roads, and everything. It was awesome. Except for trees that fell on houses. That sucks. Sorry if that happened to you.



So this past Wednesday night showed that our high school students definitely have a desire to come and hang out at the church. Our youth pastor, Danny, was fielding calls and texts from students wondering if we were meeting that night. And they showed up. We have a great turn out and the excitement was there as well. On to the set list:

Promises (Jared Anderson)
-Announcements
My Savior Lives (New Life Worship)
Holy is the Lord (Tomlin)
Stand in Awe (Jeremy Riddle)
The Stand (United)
-Message - Romans 8:28
Hungry (Kathryn Scott)

We had the same crew from last week (minus our keyboard guru, Jason) and we fell right back into the same rockin' groove. Kicking the night off, I have to say that Promises went off great. There was some energy and the students were beginning to show some enthusiasm. This is an area that I really want to get our crew excited about; opening up and letting loose (who knows, we might even get them jumping soon).

This was our second week to do 'My Savior Lives' and I think it is starting to sink in a little. The song's melody is relatively simple which makes for a quick learn. The lyrical content, however, is dead-on doctrinally and simply portrays the truth of Christ's eternal reign. This one is a must for an energetic, yet worshipful tune for almost any occasion.

We then did the standard arrangement of 'Holy is the Lord' and ended on a slow chorus. From there we transitioned into 'Stand in Awe'. I took a moment to profoundly state (ramble?) something about taking a stand in our schools and with friends to rise above the crowd so that everyone may see Christ in us. This is the theme of next week's all-worship night and I thought it would be a great time to preview that topic.

From there, we went straight into the chorus of 'The Stand' (which is quickly becoming one of my favorites). Typically, we only do the chorus/pre-chorus for this one, but we ended up playing the entire song. I'm glad we did too. Not only does it portray the gospel message and exuberantly proclaim our love and submission to give our hearts to Him, it just so happened to tie right in with the message. Yesssss. I LOVE that. As a worship leader I have to say, it's awesome when God lays songs on my heart and helps guide me in preparing them.

Finally, I have to say no matter how many times I play 'Hungry', I just don't get tired of it. Such songs of pleading and desperation (i.e. 'Rescue', 'I Give You My Heart' etc.) give us an opportunity to surrender everything that we are holding onto and I just can't get enough of it.



So that is what went down this past Wednesday. I have to say that I am SUPER excited about next week. Not only am I leading Sunday morning, we have our 3rd all worship night at GBCs sanctuary. If you are gonna be around, drop in from 7:00-8:30 and get your praise on. Maybe we could get a Mogulus broadcast going...

-Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home