Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Day After the Day After (and how it makes me happy)

So here we are. It's Thursday again. And that means 2 things:

1. Tomorrow is Friday
2. Tomorrow is Friday

And that makes me happy.

Anyway, like I was rambling about on Tuesday, I got to run sound for Shawn McDonald and Michael Fordinal. All in all I thought it was a great concert. Good response from the crowd, awesome turn-out, and everything tech-wise went without any problems.

And that makes me happy.

Seriously, I was running sound, lights, and projection during the entire show and the only problems that occurred were user-errors (i.e. opening act unhooking pedals, etc. after sound check and then hooking them up wrong upon returning for show time). Mike handled it well and (the best part of all) nobody ever turned and stared at me. I hate it when it happens. And it didn't.

And that makes me happy.

Ok, so Mike plays through his set during sound check and everything is going great. Mike's friend Mike (you heard it right, keep readin') jumped up onto our percussion set up and started playing some djembe. He was joking around at first but in all reality, it sounded kinda cool.

About 30 minutes to show time Mike #2 comes up to me at the sound booth and asks if it would be a big deal to play some percussion during the show. "Oh. Uh, ok...that'll be cool", I said as I began to wonder how cool it really was gonna be. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was ok. He was no Justin Romack or anything like that, but I guess he knew how to slap a djembe. (Was that an awkward statement? Yes. Keep readin'.) So they get up and start jamming and, I'll be darned, the djembe added A LOT to the Mike Fordinal's solo acoustic performance. I had the bottom mic cranked and our subs rumbled.

And that makes me happy.

So, Mike finishes and it is officially "Shawn McDonald time." I pull down all the lights as Shawn and Ryder (lead guitarist) take the stage. The crowd is going crazy. The air is electric. I fade the stage lights back up as they pick up their guitars. Everything is in the moment. And then Shawn steps up to the mic and says, "Hey. What are you guys doin' here?" It was great. They then proceeded to rock it out for the next hour, mixing new songs with old songs, and threw down just some flat-out, down home, jamming.

And that makes me happy.

I was worried about having to deal with the whole rock-star/diva mindset, but these guys were down to earth. Sound check went very smoothly as well. I got to hang with the guys for a little while after the show and kinda see who they really were. No divas here. Just some guys with guitars that had hearts for serving God with their music. I totally dig that. And when I grow up, I think it might be fun to do the same.

And that makes me happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Hey, I'm sorry the concert didn't go as well as you had hoped. There's always next time...

Oh, and you are darn right he was no Justin Romack! No one will ever be as cool as him. :)

August 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Romack said...

Awwww...Philip. You sweet man. You sweet, sweet man. And look at my wife - she's just so awesome.

Glad it all went well man. Wish I could have made it out to behold the amazing experience courtesy of your superb tech skills. What does it sound like in the Sanctuary with the djembe turned up? Haha. I kid, I kid.

August 28, 2008 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger p-melt said...

Lets just say, people had to change their pants after the show. Take it or leave it.

August 29, 2008 at 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home